Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Additions to a New Theology

I love Christ and His Church, but Man’s doctrines and theology is another story. Mankind has a need to possess things and to categorize things. Man ties to do to our Lord. Man can whip a doctrine and call it Biblical in a moments notice. Then he will argue about it to his grave.

In 1828 Bro. Noah Webster defined Doctrine as


1. In a general sense, whatever is taught. Hence, a principle or position in any science; whatever is laid down as true by an instructor or master. The doctrines of the gospel are the principles or truths taught by Christ and his apostles. The doctrines of Plato are the principles which he taught. Hence a doctrine may be true or false; it may be a mere tenet or opinion. 2. The act of teaching. He taught them many things by parables, and said to them in his doctrine. Mark 4. 3. Learning; knowledge. Whom shall he make to understand doctrine? Isa 28. 4. The truths of the gospel in general. That they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things. Titus 2. 5. Instruction and confirmation in the truths of the gospel. 2 Tim 3.



I define doctrine as a man’s set of codified beliefs. Calvinism is one of these. Calvinism is said to be a Biblical Doctrine because it is taken from Scripture. But This Doctrine does not take in the Full Council of God’s Word. It takes Calvin’s word as the Gospel, but takes the “good” out of the good news and just leaves one with the news. Now that this has been typed, Calvinist all around the web are getting ready to take aim on me as a horrible heretic. But I am not at Hermannite. Now the Calvinist are confused are Hermannite. Yes, that is Right. You know Jacob Hermann. Or maybe you know him as Arminius. Either way I am not a Hermannite or an Arminian. Nor a Calvinist. With all parties now bewildered I will share with you what I am. and stop the fantasies of a new theolgy I am a Baptist. To be factual about it I am a Missionary Baptist. I have found two sources of informYou coud say I hold a hybrid, blended, or didactic supreme doctrine. But I am not supreme and I can offer you help in understanding my view. First there is the writings of Dr. Phillip R. Bryan who is on staff at the Baptist Missionary Theological Seminary that I attend. He teaches as the Professor of Biblical and Theological-Historical Studies and serves as President Emeritus of the seminary. His paper entitled “A Proposed Solution to a Controversial Issue” can be found here - http://www.geocities.com/prbryan.geo/issue.htm

I have also found that Chuck Smith of the Calvary Chapels has a blended view but I have not studied out his views well enough to comment on them, but they can be found here - http://www.calvarychapel.com/?show=Resources.Ebooks.calvinismarminianismandth

I will leave you with this two rail system of Dr. C. C. Winters and Dr. Harry Ironside. These are two well loved and deeply trusted men that possess a great love for the Cross and great scholarship of Scripture.



No comments: