Wednesday, January 24, 2007

who is in your pulpit?

I have this weird hang up. As pastor I feel that the Pulpit of the Church that Christ had entrusted me to lead and equip should not be treated like a woman of ill repute. This is not to say that I bar anyone else from preaching or that people that might have different views are not allowed to herald the Word of God from behind it. I do feel that there is a matter of spiritual stewardship and oversight in which that I should not foolhardily let those who would espouse doctrines contrary to Scripture or allow heterodoxy be professed as truth. At times I have presented doctrines and given the various view points of different group and explained each view from Scripture, explained my beliefs and left the final decisions to be made in the heart of the individual. In truth I have asked a friend to come and preach for me sometime that strongly holds a different view than I do but the point is not a major one to me. Additionally I will share with congregation before that there are different views, that I do not hold this one and that we will have further teaching on the subject. We use our Sunday evening services for training and teaching. We are hoping to build up and equip believer to carry the Gospel out in the world on a day in, day out basis.

So does my pulpit protection make me a good pastor or an evil person? Well I would have thought the fore before the latter but I keep getting verbally and intellectually assaulted by people by their view of what I have always felt was the proper act of a Shepherd.

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
(Act 20:28-29)

I guess I should stop reading some people blogs. They are are depressing me as I never know I was such a vile heretic preaching a false gospel.

In closing I put forward as query, if one brother believed that Jesus was a rock cutter and not a carpenter would that end your fellowship with him. Note – I don’t know anyone who holds this view so I felt it was a safe example.

No comments: